• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question time

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Two questions aboutyeast:

I have carboy of a Brett beer that is nearing a year and a half old. It started out as a Scottish ale this one but on brew day i had a stuck sparge that wouldn't shift. So i pretty much only had the first runnings and a strong wort. I fermented it with wyeast Scottish ale and then transfered it into a carboy and added Brett lambicus. This weekend i want to bottle it but i am worried about carbonation. I suspect i will have to add more yeast but exactly how do i go about doing this? Is there a special method?

Also, planing a Wit beer. Have a white labs wit yeast that went out of date in March. Can i bring it back with a starter?

You can certainly try the wit yeast and see what happens.  Fifty cents of DME plus your time versus $6.50 for a new yeast.........factor in the low viability and you may need to do it twice.

I think you just proof a dry yeast as usual for bottling.  There are formulas to calculate the number of cells needed.  For this, you'd want fresh yeast so you can feel good about the cell counts.

Back