• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profiles

SimonB

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am using a trail version of BS2 until I get familiar with the workings.

What I cant figure out is how to build my equipment profile.  My standard technique is low volume brewing as per the Brooklyn Brew Shop's AG kits (but am now exploring my own recipes)

Essentially this is a mash using a 1 gallon SS pot, and a separate sparging.  So how do I build my equipment profile considering that I have a mash of around 2-3quarts, and add to that a gallon of sparge water, and ending up with a final volume slightly under 1 gallon, which is then topped up to the full gallon in the fermenter.

So this isn't BIAB, and neither is it a mash tun (actually I dont know what the proper terminology for this technique is

Well, for equipment it sounds like you could copy the "Pot ( 2 Gal/7.6 L) - Extract" profile and change Mash Tun Volume to 1 gallon, Batch volume to 1 gallon, and top up water to...well whatever it is.

Mash sounds like you could use "Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge", check "Drain mash tun before sparging" but I'm not sure what you would say for water/grist ratio (double click the "Mash In" step to see this).

Ccfoo's response was on target.  Not sure what else you are looking for.  For a more detailed answer why don't you walk us through an example recipe, and brew day.

Apologies

For some reason I didn't see the initial reply hence the bump.  Strange..

My brewing methodology is pretty simple, as per Brooklyn Brew Shop's recipes. But can be tuned if necessary.

1) For mashing, heat the required amount of water (I have a 5 litre pot for the mashing).  Amount depends on recipe, but Brooklyn Brew Shop's guideline is around a litre per half kilo (quart per pound).
2) At the end of the mashing, I pour the grain and wort into muslin bag which lines a "filter basket" (for want of a better word) with a 10litre pot.  I then sparge by pouring the sparge water over the grain in a muslin bag.  This then gets recirculated once through the grain.
3) Then onto the boil
4) Filter into cooler
4) Fermentation in a 1 gallon carboy (3.8 litres)

My problem is sorting out the right amount of sparge water to reach the target volume of the fermenter, and I often have to top up even as much as a litre in the carboy.

So what I have now which seems to match closest to what I am doing is the Single Infusion, Medium Body, Fly Sparge

Shoot and critique away... just wanna learn more  ;)

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 995
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,178
A couple things:

In order to get consistent, I'd recommend picking an amount of mash liquor per kg of grain and stick with it.  2 L/kg is fine (on the low end of the scale, but it doesn't matter that much).  But, rather than vary it with each recipe...do it the same every time, until you can get the same results every time. 

I think you could consider your method either a single batch sparge or a fly sparge.  But, to me it is more like a single-batch than fly. 

THE key thing to do when trying to setup a profile is to VERY carefully measure your volumes at every step.  Because you are making such a small batch, your volume measurements need to be much more accurate---like to the 1/10th liter.  Without more information (accurate volume measurements) I can't tell where the water may be going. 

My standard answer to this is that you need to measure, SG, volume, and temperature at each stage of the process in order to figure out what is going on:

Mash liquor
First runnings
Second runnings
Total Pre-Boil
Total Post-Boil
Total into fermenter

If you have all of these measurments from a brew session or two, you can easily sort out your equipment profile, mash efficiency, and total brewhouse efficiency.  I'm happy to sort it out with you here....and there are several other's around who are equally qualified. 

Given your description of your process, I'm guessing that your grain is absorbing more water than beersmith is configured for.  But, without the actual data, its just a guess. 

Once you get it all right, beersmith will figure the volumes for you.  Then you will only have to tweak things when you make a radically new beer.

Back