• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about process on a recipe

southwestfork

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am starting out the brew process and looking at this recipe http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1663/watson-cider Mash notes say: Most modern well modified grains. But in the ingrediants it doesnt list a grain. Did I miss something?

BeerSmith refers to anything containing (or convertible to) sugar as "grain". This apple wine is made from apple juice and brown sugar, both of which are listed in my "grain" list. I don't know if they are in the basic program or if I imported them in an add-on. If they're not in your list, click on "File" (in the menu bar at the top of the BeerSmith window), then click on "Add-ons". You can import lots of fermentibles, hops, yeasts, and recipes.

Since timlael lists 41.75 pounds of apples, I assume he used actual apples, not canned or frozen juice. If you don't have access to that quantity of fresh apples - and the equipment to crush and strain them - you will need to get the juice from a brew shop (on line or local) - then mix the juice with water to get the concentration (specific gravity) you want.

If the juice has not been sterilized you may need to treat it with sodium metabisulphate to kill off wild yeasts and bacteria, because there is no boil to sterilize it. Although the recipe shows "single infusion, light body, no mash out" there is no mashing; the apple juice does not require mashing to convert starch to sugar. You may also need to add an enzyme to get rid of pectin, although it isn't mentioned in the recipe.

I've made a few apple wines using frozen juice and they worked well. The brown sugar should make this dryer than anything I've made - likely a significant improvement.

Dan

Back