• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Building Your Own Immersion Chiller

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Some of you may already know about this so please forgive me if I am repeating, but I’d like to let our readers know of a good resource for kits to build your own immersion chiller, ICS Industries (aka coppertubingsales.com) and here’s my disclaimer: I don’t have any affiliation with this store but I was impressed with their prices on copper tubing, and building my own IC was actually pretty simple.

One of the big home stores wants $62 for a 50-foot roll of 3/8 copper. This is a little cheaper than a completed IC from the homebrew sites, sure, but with a little trolling I found this site www.coppertubingsales.com. For under $49; you get that same 50-foot roll AND the clamps (or compression fittings) and hoses if you choose the clamp-style or compression-style kit. For $5 more you get the soldering-type kit!

All you need is a paint can or similar cylindrical object to wrap the tubing around, and I’d recommend a simple spring-type tubing bender to make the risers (they sell one for around $2) – make your bends, attach the hoses and clamps and you’re ready to chill. I made mine in about half an hour (see photo).

As I have a squat 8.5 gallon pot, 50 feet with one diameter would’ve been too tall – it’d stick out the top of my wort – so I opted for a "dual-coil" design (a smaller coil within a larger coil) to get all 50 feet into the wort and soldered the risers for rigidity. I used two pieces of PVC pipe at different diameters but you don’t have to do all that; a single coil around a paint can would work just fine if your pot’s tall enough. So for less than $50 (plus shipping) you can build your own 50-foot IC.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IC1.jpg
    IC1.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 27
+1 for this site.  My friend and I split a 100 foot coil of 1/2 inch tubing and made custom-fitted chillers to fit our very different boilers. 

I used 1/2" refrigeration tubing and used ninety degree soldered bends to make the risers - made a neat job and works well.

Brian

Back