• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low Efficiency

jamen46

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I use Beersmith to build all of my recipes, of course and I just can't seem to get even decent efficiency out of my system.  I use a tiered system with a keg HLT, a 48 qt ice chest mash tun and a 7 gallon stainless brew kettle.  My temps are generally right on target.  I did a triple decoction Dunkel yesterday and got about 55%.  It is really frustrating.  Any ideas?

Try using lactic acid or 5.2 stabilizer to lower your mash PH.

Verify all volumes to ensure you're getting credit for all wort produced. 

How quickly do you sparge?  Try to slow it down next time. 

If you don't mash-out to 168F, try it and see if it helps rinse more sugars.

You should also look at your grain crush. If the grains are still in the husk your not getting a good crush.

You can ask your LHBS to run it through twice if need be.

Cheers
Preston

jamen46, is the 55% observed mash or brewhouse efficiency?  If mash, like mentioned before perhaps water comp / ph adjustment for your grist would help?
If you had a decent mash eff, but brewhouse suffered where are the major losses in your system?  Does your beersmith equipment profile accurately match your kettle, mash tun, and trub losses?

Back