• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grinding Steeping Grains - Barley Crusher Setting?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Getting ready for my next extract brew and purchased my ingredients in bulk as it is my own recipe instead of a kit. When I got my steeping grains; I had them leave the grains whole as I've also got a Barley Crusher now and would like to grind my own.

I don't need to worry about EE% at this point yet as these grains are primarily for color and flavor, but I'd also like to get as much of the good stuff as possible without introducing any of the bad stuff, and I'm sure the grind will have something to do with this.

Question: Is there any particular setting for doing steeping grains vs. mashing grains? It's at the default setting now, and I'd rather not mess with a good thing if I didn't have to, and I'm not sure if the grind should be any different.

I checked mine with a feeler guage and it is still at the default .039. I would say leave it at the default, It works well for me.

Cheers
Preston

I going to brew my second batch tomorrow using my newly purchased Barley Crusher to mill the grain.  The factory setting gave me a great crush one the first batch compared to the homebrew store mill (that thing has seen better days).  My efficiency improved 4% which I attributed to the crush.  I'd stick with the factory setting and see how it works for you.

Back