• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another partial mash question

groucho57

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe that identifies itself as "technically a partial mash", and am trying to figure out how to set up the mash profile in BS2.  This may be another case of "just use the extract model" but I thought I'd ask here first.

The recipe says to steep the grains (1.9 lbs of 2-row pale malt and Thomas Fawcett amber malt) at 152F in 2.25 qts of water for 45 minutes, then rinse grains with 1qt of 170F water.  Then add water to make 4 gal prior to adding the extract and going forward with the boil.  The recipe makes a point about following the temerature and volume guidelines closely.  Being a total noob to home brewing, I am taking them at their word.

I guess where I'm confused is how to specify the rinse in the mash profile.  I'd like to be able to document the procedure in BS2 in another manner than just the "Notes" section.

Thanks for your help!

In your recipe, right next to the name of the recipe you can choose the type of recipe, select type Partial Mash.

Next choose the equipment profile that matches your equipment. 

Then select the mash profile - Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

Save the recipe and when you change the report to Brewsheet it should calculate volumes and temps for your mini mash.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks for the walkthrough, Preston.  I was able to put in the amount of water to mash in, but the rinse volume is calculated by BS2 and I can't modify it to match what the recipe says.  Maybe this is not possible - I just captured this in the notes.
Anyway, thanks for the help!

-greg

The "Sparge" or rinse volume is dictated by the Batch Size and your equipment settings. If you have those set correctly it should come out right. You can check your settings by using the equipment setup page found here : http://www.beersmith.com/equipment-setup

Cheers
Preston

Back