• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

finings for apricot pale ale ?

crabbs

Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how to clear up my apricot pale ale ? It is a simple pale ale fermented 10 days primary then racked on top of a 3lb can of apricot puree.It has been in the secondary for 3 weeks . It is still very cloudy .would finings help ? i have gelatin on hand .

I did a very similar beer at about the same time.  I considered gelatin but decided I did not want to precipitate out the delicate apricot flavors. 

If the cloudiness consists of negatively charged particles, Gelatin will work.  Isinglass is much more effective if you can get it. 

Either way, I read something form the maker of isinglass some time back, that you should allow the temp to rise when you add it.  So, if you have the keg in a freezer, pull the keg and add the gelatin then leave it out for some time (over night? a couple hours?  I don't know) then chill again.

thanks ,the cloudieness is probably pectin haze ,i used london esb yeast and it was pretty clear after primary .i will see if my local hbs has insinglass and try your advice on temps .,,,i will post the results.i have heard of a pectic enzyme but i dont have much info or any experience on that item.

Back