• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can I pitch yeast in 2 batches a couple days apart? Doppelbock w/ Lager yeast

markwolff

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have everything I need for my first Doppelbock brew...except for the last 2 packages of dry yeast (I have 2 right now).  I ordered 2 packets originally but now ordered 2 more.  I should receive them by Wednesday, but am wondering if I can brew and pitch the first two packets and then pitch the second two when I receive them.  Will it screw things up or is it ok?

Timing wise, either I brew today or I have to wait a month before I have the time to do it again.

Yes, this is with extract only.  I will post the recipe if it ends up working out ok.

If you're fermenting five gallons, and you will re-hydrate the yeast, then I'd brew.  That should yield 400 billion cells which is about 80% of what's called for to do five gallons of 1.075 lager.

Aerate well when pitching.  If you think it's lagging, you could add a third package when it arrives.

Here is a follow-up for anyone that reads the post and is wondering as well...

I used the first two packets, hydrating them with room temp water before adding it into the primary brew container.  Four days later I received the other two packets of yeast that BeerSmith recommended and added them, hydrating as before.  I am brewing it in my commercial refrigerator and keeping it at 48* F.

The yeast took off slow.  The first couple days I didn't see any activity.  Three days in, I started seeing some action, then day five things started going great.  I am on day 12 and the bubbles have gone from 1 a second to 1 every 4 seconds now.

Looks like everything is going good; hope the same for you!

Back