• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Digital Refractometers?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking at a digital refractometer and wondering if it would work well for measuring SG during the boil to ensure I can hit my target OG most every time. The unit is as follows:

Hanna Instruments; HI 96811 Digital Refractometer for Measurement of Sugar in Wine % of Brix.

The specs say this: HI 96811 converts the refractive index of the sample to sucrose concentration in units of percent by weight, %Brix (also referred to as °Brix). The conversion used is based on the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis). Since the majority of sugar in grape juice is fructose and glucose and not sucrose, the reading is sometimes referred to as “Apparent Brix”.

Assuming all I need to do it convert Brix to SG (simple calculation?) will this fit the bill for working with wort?

My only question is that it says Wine.  Does that mean it is specifically designed for wine during/after fermentation is complete? 

Instead of grapes and therefore unfermented wort works too?

Most refracts are in Brix, and newer ones have added an SG scale to it. 

Most I've heard, and I'm no expert by any stretch, is that refractometers are primarily used to measure pre-fermented sugars. The use of the word "wine" in this context makes me think this unit is simply being marketed to wine enthusiasts and not necessarily that it is intended for use with fermented wine. Of course I'd confirm this before laying down any of my hard-earned brew-bucks...

Besides, and please correct me if I'm wrong; doesn't alcohol skew the instrument's ability to accurately measure sugar?

If this is true, then just about any refractometer should work, digital or analog. So as long as I can confirm this particular model is not specially configured to measure fermented wine (or beer), it should be OK for general beer use, yes?

I see there are calculators on-line for converting Brix to SG. Have you (or anyone) found these to be accurate or are there caveats? Should I be able to confirm by experiment by making various small batches of wort (DME and water) of varying ratios - measure with my trusty ol' hydrometer and again with my fancy digital gizmo and compare the results?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-0-32-ATC-Brix-Refractometer-Wine-Beer-CNC-Sugar-/390202796300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad9e6290c

NEW! 0-32% ATC Brix Refractometer Wine Beer CNC Sugar

Here's what I bought several year's ago.  I think 32% is meant for higher Brix of wine, but it works for barleywines.  And ATC means you don't have to wait as long to cool the sample, but with drops it takes little time anyway.  Any feature beyond that is gravy to me.  I bought four s/s condiment cups at Walmart for $1 and use for sampling. 

Frankly, I've never worried too much are being super-accurate; for me, it's just a brew-day tool to gauge what I've got much quicker and easier than using a hydrometer. 

I shoot it, multiply by 4X, and fudge that upwards a point or two as the Brix reading breaks 16 or so. 

Back