• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Conversion Help

Humble Brewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am posting a partial-mash recipe I brew for an Oatmeal Stout.  I recently entered this in a local homebrewing competition and received a 39.  Its a great recipe.  However, I don't want to keep brewing it as a partial-mash if I don't have to.  I am attempting to convert it to an all-grain but I am not sure I am using the tool correctly.  I would love to get a little talk through if I could.

2lbs Dark Dry Extract
3lbs Dark Liquid Extract
3lbs Amber Liquid Extract
12oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Roasted Barley
4oz Black Patent Malt
1lbs Flaked Oats

So far I have tried a couple of different attempts at using the conversion tool.  In the end, all I wind up with is 10lbs pale malt two row.  I am assuming each of the extracts above should be replaced by a grain equivalent.  Not sure how to go about this.

For extra credit, if anyone is willing, the two biggest pieces of feedback I got from the judges were the beer needed a little more oatmeal flavor and I should consider increasing the oatmeal by about 20% and the aroma scored pretty low.  I think both are easily fixed.  The oatmeal increase is straightforward and I am considering adding 50% more finishing hop.  Any other suggestions?

I suppose I should add the hops part of the recipe since I went ahead and asked for feedback on that in addition to the grain conversion.  The recipe currently uses 2oz Northern Brewer as the boiling hop and 1oz Willamette hops for 10min as the aroma.  I am thinking of bumping to 1.5oz Willamette hop at the end.

Per BJCP guides...........Aroma: Mild roasted grain aromas, often with a coffee-like character. A light sweetness can imply a coffee-and-cream impression. Fruitiness should be low to medium. Diacetyl medium-low to none. Hop aroma low to none (UK varieties most common). A light oatmeal aroma is optional.

Flavor: Medium sweet to medium dry palate, with the complexity of oats and dark roasted grains present. Oats can add a nutty, grainy or earthy flavor. Dark grains can combine with malt sweetness to give the impression of milk chocolate or coffee with cream. Medium hop bitterness with the balance toward malt. Diacetyl medium-low to none. Hop flavor medium-low to none. 

Oatmeal stout doesn't call for much hop aroma, as far as style guides in a comp go, so that's up to your preferences.  I'd hope they meant the aroma could use more coffee/cream/nutty and oaty character. 

Without knowing exactly what went into those extracts you're guessing on what is needed to replace them, so that's your call too.  I'd suggest a blend of plain 2-row, some Maris Otter, and maybe some Munich/Vienna for malt complexity. 

Golden Naked Oats from Northern Brewer are great for "nutty" if you want to chase that down.  I once used GNO in a Northern English Brown that took 3rd BOS, I think b/c of the nice nutty quality.

Thanks for the reply MaltLicker.  Aroma was the only category the beer was really dinged on.  The judges gave it 6's and 7's.  But perhaps that can be fixed by simply following their suggestion of upping the oats.  Since hop aroma is supposed to be on the low end it may be a better fix for keeping with the style.

As for converting the recipe, I guess its easier to convert an all-grain to extract than an extract to all grain.  Still kicking around if I want to mess with it or not.

Along these lines...are Organic Quick Oats ever an option to develop some grain base in your beer?

Back