• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What's up with BeerSmith? Gold Medal recipe duplication.

HydroRamPac

Apprentice
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am interested in duplicating one of the Gold Metal recipes which was in the Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2012 issue.  The recipe which I am interested in is Category 9: Scotch and Irish Ale brewed by Mark Schoppe named, "Albanach Laidir".  I have plugged in the settings which Mark used and the numbers are not matching up.  My primary concerns are the Bitterness and Color.  Mark states his IBU's were 22 and SRM 18, while BeerSmith2 is coming up with IBU's 32.6 and SRM 13.9.  The reason I am writing this is because I took a 6 gallon Scotch Ale recipe of my own from BeerSmith1 and stepped it up to a 27 gallons with BeerSmith2 and brewed it.  The SRM came out a lot darker then what the previous brew had been.  So keeping that in mind.  When I see Mark's recipe plugged into BeerSmith2 and it is showing up discrepancies, that gives me concerns.  What's up with BeerSmith2?  Has anyone else noticed this going on with their brews which you are looking to set specific SRM's and IBU's?

Do you know which IBU model Schoppe used?  Rager or Tinseth?  You'd need to verify that to be sure you're comparing apples to apples. 

A diff of four in SRM could be caused by different Lovibond of ingredients and different water volumes, meaning his pale malt might be darker than what you plugged in.  And his setup could have different water losses (i.e., evaporation) that concentrated his wort more than your settings do.  (For ex, I leave over a gallon of wort in the boiler as sludge, so it dilutes my SRM results in ways you would not anticipate if I didn't tell you.) 

I find it difficult to exactly copy a printed recipe without knowing a lot of details that most magazines don't provide, especially here where it's some home brewer on a totally unknown system. 

Your thought about the Rager and Tinseth scale is interesting, although neither scale calculates what Schoppe stated in the article IBU's 22.  ie Rager IBU's 40.2 and Tinseth IBU's 32.6.  Only Schoppe knows the truth.  I was able to get a balance of the IBU's to 22 by keeping the quantities the same and adjusting Summit to 30 minutes using the Rager scale.

In regard to the difference of 4 in the SRM.  Schoppe took one gallon of the first runnings, boiled until condensed to a syrup and added to kettle.  I do not know of any calculations, or tool BeerSmith2 may have which would be used to help determine how much of an effect that this process would have on raising the SRM and OG, although I am certain it must raise both by some amount.

As a total hypothetical SWAG, you could change from All Grain to Partial Mash and add an additional gallon to the batch size.  Going from 6 gallon to 7 gallon. Then add 3.3 lbs of Amber LME to compensate for the syrup of the first runnings.  This will put you into the ball park of 1.089 for the OG.  Schoppe stated his OG was 1.085.  Work with the refractometer/hydrometer to achieve desired results during boil.

As far as SRM.  It would jump up my guess would be from 13.9 to 16.0.  This is only a guess though.

This would be a great feature to add to BeerSmith, if they could iron out the rough edges.

Back