• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Combining recipe BSMX files

parklife

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I co own a homebrew shop with 2 friends.  We bought Beersmith2 to take the place of Promash for use in our shop.  We have about 300 recipes we split up and converted, which was no mean task (that's 300 of the probably 800 we had in Promash).  Well, now I have an issue because I can't seem to stitch the three files together. 

I read a post on using notepad to do this but now I can't find it.  Can someone tell me EXACTLY what to do to combine BSMX files?  i don;t want to export 200 files individually and save them back again.

If you only have three files, just open them one at a time and then use copy/paste to paste them all into one big file (or paste them all into My Recipes).  You can multi-select recipes using the shift key while clicking, and copy/paste will work on whatever you have selected.  The same is true for Export Selected which will export whatever you have selected.

If you actually have 300 files, the task is more complicated.  Obviously you can open each one at a time, copy/paste it to a common area such as My Recipes and then close the file.  The fastest way would be to write a script of some kind to combine the BSMX files (which is not easy to do, as you need to preserve the recipe section for each) but as the files are in XML it is possible.

Brad

Back