• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

wort temperature for fermentation.

chasinreno

Brewer
Reaction score
My buddy and i have build a fermentation chamber (7.2cu freezer) with digital temp control.  We have three temperature sensors: One for ambient, one for freezer interior, and one attached to the side of the bucket padded with insulation.  We started two batches yesterday and the interior temperature was set between 62 deg f and 64 deg f and it was pretty steady.  The wort temperature was over 10 degrees higher!
We're both using danstar nottingham which is pretty forgiving and we've both used it before but now i can see that the wort temperature was pretty starting pretty high.  Based on our historical charting it took 24 hours for the wort temp to drop to our preset 62-64 deg f.
I'm now wondering if the recommended fermentation temperature is actual wort temperature or enclosure temperature.  If it's wort temperature then I've been getting away with murder!

chasinreno said:
..............the wort temperature was pretty starting pretty high.  Based on our historical charting it took 24 hours for the wort temp to drop to our preset 62-64 deg f.

Are you chilling down to your ferm temp, or using the chamber to get the wort down there?  The former would be preferred (IMO) but the latter likely is usually OK since the yeast is first adapting, consuming the oxygen, duplicating, etc., before it gets into heavy fermentation and generating its own heat.  Perhaps by the time it's really active, your chamber is close enough to prevent drastic damage.

I have a 4" computer fan circulating air in my fermentation fridge.  I also put a couple blocks under the carboy to ensure I get a good circulation.

I have a probe stuck to the outside of the carboy with thermal wrap over it.  I use the stick-on carboy temp strips.  when I get the temp dialed in, it always reads that temp no matter what time of day I check (I check too often because I like to watch the fermentation action).

Cheers!
Joe

I"m guessing that since I usually, in the past i used a thermometer and an SSR to control my freezer, plunk the bucket into the freezer and wait for the temp to equalize, i'm going to be ok.
I do like the idea of putting blocks under my carboy though.  I did have a 4" comuter fan in the freezer when i used the thermometer but it didn't seem to make any difference and it was a pain to keep my fingers out of it, so I deleted it from my latest setup.  I have three scars on my left index finger to remind me that those old computer fan blades are made out of steel and at 1amp current it's about 1/7th horsepower.
I have bigger problems now.  Apparently my buddy's gizmo, periodically locks up and won't regulate the temperature.  I have wort all over the bottom of my freezer and have to check the gizmo every day to make sure it's still working. ugh.
At least I have a keg in the frig for now.

Back