• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Utilization Setting

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
BS2 tells me to leave my Hop Utilization setting at the default 100% for batches <20 gallons.

I've heard there are various IBU loses during the brewing process, some of a significant percentage. Are these loses estimated/averaged and accounted for in BS2? Is this why it is recommended to leave it at 100%?

Understanding that there are many factors affecting hop utilization; if my beers were to consistently come out with what is perceived during tasting to be much less "hop" than was expected, could this setting be tweaked a little without upsetting anything else other than the reported IBU and BU:GU for a given hop profile? Or are there bigger issues at hand here?

I agree with JZ and others that recommend picking one utilization model (Rager, Tinseth, etc.) and sticking with it, and then dialing in your preferred IBU per style on that model.  So you determine you like your APA with 50 IBUs, and target that number. 

Separately I've read that humans can't detect IBU shifts of less than ten points, so any variance buried in the calculations is likely smaller than that.

Seems easier to brew three similar APAs at 45, 55, 65 and pick your favorite IBU level, and then tweak something else.  With the variance in AA%, pellets v. leaf, water volume dilution, vigor of the boil, etc., it's amazing utilization is ever consistent in a five gallon batch.

Hi,
  The "hop utilization factor" in the equipment profile is really a setting for large breweries (microbreweries or larger - over 20 gal per batch).  They will typically have utilization from their equipment of 120% or more over what a small home brewer might achieve due to scale and efficiency of their commercial equipment.

It is not related to the utilization calculated internally for IBU calculations (Rager/Tinseth/Garetz) - this is done automatically by the program depending on which equation you select when estimating IBUs.

So the advice is correct - unless you are brewing very large batches (over 20gal) you should leave it at 100%.  If you are a commercial brewer, most likely you will set it to over 100% for your microbrewery and 100% for your pilot system.

Brad

Back