• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High gravity, low volume

dwhyte14

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting a problem where my wort collected in the boiler from the mash tun is constantly of higher gravity than expected.
However, I am getting a lot less liquid, maybe only 75% than expected.

So, it looks a bit like a high gravity brew. I then have to dilute to get to the correct pre-boil gravity.

What could cause this and does it mean a low extraction/efficiency of mash sugars?

Thanks

Are you sparging as directed by the software?  Are your equipment settings accurate?  Are you measuring your water volumes accurately?

I'd start there first.

If the SG is higher at the specified boil volume, then you extracted more than you forecast.  You should be able to enter the "measured" OG and get an adjusted (or actual) EE% which you'd use on the next brew, allowing you to use less grain. 

Constantly analyze after each brew and adjust on the next one until you usually get within 2-3 points. 

Back