• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Phosphoric acid in the sparge water

tochsner

Apprentice
Reaction score
I don't see Phosphoric acid listed BeerSmith. Am I missing something. Also how would you note it is added to the sparge water?

Tony

Hi,
  Just add it yourself as a Misc ingredient - Go to Ingredients->Misc and click on the Add button.  Set it to be used in the mash and it will show up there on the brew sheet.

Brad

Wow, I can't believe I didn't figure that out. Thanks for answering another dumb question.  :D

Tony

Go light on that stuff.  One drop drops my pH almost two points.  In about 3.5 gallons.

MaltLicker said:
Go light on that stuff.  One drop drops my pH almost two points.  In about 3.5 gallons.

Of phosphoric?  Isn't that the 38% stuff?  I use 88% lactic, and I measure in eye-dropper's full (roughly a milliliter).  A single drop does nothing.

Granted its highly dependent on the buffering capacity of your local water (alkalinity).  I have about 100 ppm HCO3.

But, yes go easy on acid additions.  The pH won't move "at all" until you exceed the buffers in the water/mash.  Once the buffers have been used up the pH will drop precipitously. 

I use EZ water to figure my additions.  For a new recipe, I then add half the addition, measure the pH.  If I'm not there yet, I'll add half the remainder.  Repeat until the pH is there. 

Back