• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Too much ester!

sleastaq

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently made a batch of Kolsch that ended up having a Very, very strong pineapple aroma.  Apparently it fermented much too warm initially (74+ for 11 days) despite lagering at 38 degrees for 3 weeks.
Does anyone know how to reduce the estery-ness of this beer? I think otherwise it'd be fine. I've heard that aging is about the only thing you can do.
Help!

The only thing that I can think of would be aging.

When your primary is that high you will always get that fruit ester.  I like it ;D but I know not everybody does and you do not want it in some styles.

Don

I'm so sorry to bring up an extremely old thread, but I jumped in my seat as I read your problem because I literally have the same issue as you did.  I fermented my kolsch at 68 degrees, and I'm getting that same over-estery pineapple aroma, which is somewhat unpleasant.  The taste is absolutely fantastic, but the aroma... How long do you think I would have to age this beer to get the aroma to be at an appropriate level, a few months?

Back