• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale Mashing

Curly55

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am brewing a Pumpkin Ale this weekend. I got the recipe from Papazian's "The Homebrewer's Companion". My question is the recipe calls for a two step mash and to add the cooked pumpkin pulp to the saccharification rest, but from everything else I have read it makes more sense to add it to the protein rest like you would other precooked adjuncts. Can anyone smarter than me give me some insight or there opinion on the matter.
Thanks
Curly

I just brewed a pumpkin this weekend and did one mash only.  I added the pumpkin in with the mash, but the only struggle I had was the pumpkin made the mash super thick. so it made it difficult for the wort to pour through the false bottle.  I would recommend try using real pumpkin vs. puree pumpkin (i bought a real pumpkin and it was rotten in the middle ha ha) Or try putting it in the boil.

Pumpkin has very little protein. I can see much benefit to adding before sach rest. Also, pumpkin is 90% water.  So, 5 lbs only has 1/2 lbs of dry starch.  I used two pie pumpkins, peaked, seeded, and cut them into 1" cubes.  Then I roasted them in the over at 375f for 70 minutes. Mash them like potatoes. Add to the mash at sach rest. Use 1/2 lb of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. 

I add 2/3 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice at flame out. I have another teaspoon of spice soaking in 1/4 cup of vodka to add to the beer after fermentation to taste.

Back