• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from Baltimore!

halfwhit

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm from Baltimore and after talking and talking about getting into brewing for the past year I finally sacked up and got myself some equipment. I've always had a DIY spirit, from building my own guitar to rolling my own cigarettes. I love beer, so this seemed like the next step. My office-mate is a home-brewer of a couple years and I've hung out with him through different parts of the process. My starter kit is basic....Two ale pails, capper, siphon, filler, hydrometer, thermometer. I know at some point I'll have to pony up the coin and get myself a carboy or two.

The best part about a good hobby is having good people to chat it up with. From what I've seen, brewers love to talk shop. Plus I'm sure my coworker will appreciate not having to answer every single stupid question I have along the way.

I'll be starting with a Nut Brown Ale since those are my favorite anyway. In the absence of a carboy, I'll be doing single stage fermentation. Beyond this, I have no idea what I'm talking about!  :p

The best advice I've heard so far is 'relax and enjoy.' Any other bits of wisdom you guys would be willing to pass on?

Whit

Welcome! A good first step would be to get a book and bury your nose in it to pick up the basics. I'd start with John Palmer's "How to Brew" and go from there. All good info, and it's bound to get the gears a turnin'!

Back