• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale Question

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When designing a pumpkin ale partial-mash recipe, do I need to worry about adding a dextrine like Carapils for body, or will the 4+ Lbs of pumpkin goo come across in the mouthfeel?

I plan on baking, peeling, and mashing some real pumpkin with my grains in a mini-mash and was wondering if there's anything to adding real pumpkin to a beer that would contribute to (or possibly take away from) body and/or head retention.

I actually think the pumpkin adds to head retention.I make it at about 8.5 % and its thick like pie. no need to worry, I am looking for some fine pumpkins myself.Should start seeing some next week here in New England , its my most popular beer yet so Im planning on making about 50 gallons.

Thanks for the reply.

Say; have you pinned down a spice profile that really works for you? I'm sure most folks know what a slice of good pumpkin pie tastes like, and I've been working my way through the commercial examples as they've been hittin' the store shelves and so far only Dogfish Head even comes close to what I'm looking for.

There once was a little brewpub in Hayward, CA called Buffalo Bill's (probably still there under new ownership) that made the most amazing pumpkin ale every year -  folks came from all over to fill their growlers. THAT is what I'm looking for!

I've seen so many suggestions - add so much spice mix at 10 or 5 minutes, and again in the secondary, add vanilla, etc. I've got a recipe under development and I think the spice bill looks robust enough, but I've never made this style before so I'm looking for tips. Recipe is attached if y'all don't mind having a look...

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

• Phils Pumpkin Ale.bsmx
    31.4 KB · Views: 232
I cube the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes coat it with pumpkin pie spice and roast it for an hour then throw it in the mash ,on the rind I use 10 lbs for 5 gal batch keeping it on the rind prevents sticking. I hop mildly with willamette at 60 then at 45 I hit it with cinamon sticks nutmegs and vanilla bean.then I dry hop with same spices.People freak out when they have it,its the best pumpkin I ever had.I think leaving it on the rind is the key I have never seen any one do it like that you can put a lot more pumpkin in it with out worrying about sticking the mash and it gives crazy orange color.

Has anyone done both methods:  pumpkin in the mash AND pumpkin in the boil, and thought one had more pumpkin character than another?

I've only done the boil method, but I did roast it first with brown sugar on top to break it down.  Typical pie spices at near end of boil. 

never did it in the boil , it came out so good in the mash I stuck with it. I would think it would make a mess in the boil

Pumpkin is all starch.  I'd think you'd get a starch haze in the boil.  That's why I mash it. I don't think pumpkin has enzymes for self conversion.  I escribed my process in the other pumpkin thread.

Back