• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort Loss to Keggle

GoodisBeer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have mentioned this topic in my last thread, but it could use some more feedback.

I have a bazooka tube on the outlet of my keggle and I have a measured 1.8 gal loss under the tube. Hey to me thats alot of wort. Should I forgo the bazooka tube and use a pick up tube and risk more break material going through my plate chiller...but but mre wort? Or should I take loss into account and increase grain bill and water volumes?

Yes tilting helps,  but is there a safer method?

I haven't found a way to account for loss in boiler in equipment profile. Should i try to auto siphon off the last 1.8 gal through plate chiller without contamination?

I have a pickup tube INSIDE of a bazooka screen.  I place the pickup inlet about 4" from the outside edge.  I still lose about 1/2 gallon.

Trub loss is the setting in the equipment profile. 

Happy to.  I'll post one tomorrow (after I clean it out  :-[).

I have about 1.6 gallon under the spigot in my keggle. I used to have a a pickup tube. You can point it towards the side of the pot and stir so stuff settles in the middle and not go up the tube.

I had problems with losing suction once the level got below the spigot so I removed it. This probably won't be a problem for you since you have tubing extending down below the spigot which maintains the siphon. Though dumping straight out the spigot becomes more cumbersome if you had to do as such without anything attached.

Here you go...

Note, my chiller is permanently mounted in my keggle the inlet and outlet pass through the keg wall.  Dunno if this is really better or not.  Seemed like a good idea.  It works, but it does make cleanup a bit more troublesome. 

Sorry, it took me so long to post.  I do get kind of busy during the week.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG1521.jpg
    IMAG1521.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 735
Back