• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Wort Hopping

Caikemp07

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've read many interpretations about the First Wort Hopping including those sent from Mr. Brad Smith recently. The method of putting foward 30% of the finishing hops (like Mr. Brad Smith has said) seems nice to me.
However, I don't understand how I can use it in the software and what is that first wort hopping time that we have to fill.
Another thing that I was wondering about is that we can't remove the hot break before adding hops anymore, can we?
Thank you everybody.

Caike

True, with FWH the brewer should monitor and avoid boilover very closely since hops would get lifted out of the boil.  Same with removing any hot break.

There is a setting for FWH hops:  just select that (FWH) rather than "boil."

Not to hijack this thread but I'd like to get a bit more clarification on the FWH settings.
Assuming hops added to BK prior to wort run off, it takes 15 minutes to run off all wort into BK via batch sparge, it takes 30 minutes to bring the wort to a boil,  and a 60 minute boil. If I select FWH what would the correct "Boil/Steep" time entry be? 60 minutes? 90 minutes? 105 minutes?

Hi,
  It would be the full boil time which I think is 60 minutes for your example.

Brad

Back