• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Spice Additions and Sanitation?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Are we worrying about sanitation (other than the usual precautions) when we crack open a bottle of pumpkin pie spice from the cupboard to add a spoon-full into our secondary? Is the fact we have beer and not wort enough insurance against contamination?

And do I add powdered spice to the secondary or make a slurry with, say... vodka or some other neutral spirit?

I worry about it.  That's why I soak anything in vodka before it goes in (valilla beans, coffee beans, spices, etc). 

For my pumpkin spice, I soaked two teaspoons in 1/2c vodka for two weeks.  Then I used an eye-dropper to dose it into the finished beer.  I feel pretty safe about that. 

Interesting fact.  if you soak pumpkin spice in vodka for two weeks....the spice will turn into a gooey/slimey mess.  I only ended up with about 1/4 cup of spiced vodka after straining it.  The rest was soaked up by the spice.  I tried to filter it through some coffee filters, but not much came through.  I ended up just pouring the vodka straight off the top. 

Back