• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager Water

4x

Hi,
Just a questions on my water profile.

Water Profile
Ph. = 6.8
Ca. =31
Mg. =12
Na. =33
SO4 =31
Cl. =60
HCO3 =126

How/or would I have to adjust my water to brew lagers (Munich Helles) using100% Pilsner malt?
I have read that using darker grains can help, but would prefer to adjust the water.

Brewing up some SkulDuggery

4x

I have never done anything to my water.  Well I use 5.2 when I remember.

But I have also never made a true lager.

What have the results been on your other beers?

Don

Actually your water looks good, ph of 6.8 and HC03 not to bad at all. Take it you don't have a brewing software program to help you out? Here is a free one offered by another brewer. http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/

Thanks for your replies.
I have been using Beersmith for 18 months, but have only done extract or partials brews. Now I want to go over to A.G.
From the reading that I have done your water determines you’re the efficiency (ph) and style. Even though I have Beersmith I still not sure about my water, what stile it suits.

“ Actually your water looks good, ph of 6.8 and HC03 not to bad at all.”

Is the HCO3 to high for lagers? If I am correct about this how would this affect a lager brewed with 100% Pilsner malt (5.2 kgs) can the water be corrected to better suit lagers?
Will the grain lower the Ph. significantly or just marginally?  
How can I hit the target of 5.2

As for Five Star, I have just written to the people who make 5.2 about sourcing it in OZ

“As far as I know our products are not available in Australia or anywhere else overseas.  This is mainly due to shipping issues and the high cost of freight.  Our homebrew products are sold in a rather small, niche market and I can't imagine it would be worth it for someone to sell them in Australia. I'd assume the only way this would be worthwhile would be to order in very large quantities.”
So that counts 5.2 out.

I have a friend who is a water chemist and used to work in a brewery in Brisbane, I’ll let you know what he comes with.

Thinkin about brewing up some SkulDugery

4x

I've never bothered to have my water checked out like that.
  My M.O. is filtered tap water for ales and 33-66% distilled to filtered tap water depending on which lager I am doing.

Go to basicbrewing.com for a good tutorial on water and adjustments for the styles.

Back