• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Volumes Tab and Boil Off

genegraham

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to brewing. I've just completed my fourth extract batch with a recipe I created using Beersmith. I'm acquiring equipment on my way to AG brewing, and I've gone to a full boil using a 44 quart Polar kettle and a high-output propane stove (the kitchen stove wasn't cutting it). Now on to my questions...

I assumed from previous experience that I'd have a pretty good boil off. Beersmith's default value seemed to be about 4.1% per hour, which strikes me as significantly underestimated. I actually boiled off a full gallon. On the equipment profile, I notice there's a check box for "Use boil off as an hourly rate". There is no explanation of this in the Help, and when I check it it doesn't seem to have any immediate effect. What is this check box for, and how should I use it?

OK...after I estimated all the losses, etc., Beersmith tells me I should start with about 7.76 gallons. That's fine. However, when I go to the "Vols" tab on my recipe, it tells me two things: Total Water Needed is 8.48 gallons, and Est. Pre-Boil Vol is 7.76 gallons. I have specified that the recipe is an extract brew, but the Mash section of the Vols tab (which is grayed out) has a Tot Mash Water of .59 gal, Sparge Vol of 7.9 gal, etc. Why does Beersmith tell me I need 8.48 gal when I clearly don't? Is it somehow including the non-existent mash stuff?

As an aside, I can see where a pickup tube might be a benefit ... I get about a gallon of "Trub and Chiller" loss. I suppose I could improve that by about a half gallon (but I'd probably pick up more trub than I am now).

Beersmith is a great product...I've had fun using it. I'm just having some trouble understanding some of this stuff and dialing it in! Your help is appreciated!

Gene

Very good post and questions! I will be watching closely as I have similar issues/questions (I'm a newbie BS2 user).

Robert
GypsyBrew

genegraham said:
I assumed from previous experience that I'd have a pretty good boil off. Beersmith's default value seemed to be about 4.1% per hour, which strikes me as significantly underestimated. I actually boiled off a full gallon. On the equipment profile, I notice there's a check box for "Use boil off as an hourly rate". There is no explanation of this in the Help, and when I check it it doesn't seem to have any immediate effect. What is this check box for, and how should I use it?

OK...after I estimated all the losses, etc., Beersmith tells me I should start with about 7.76 gallons. That's fine. However, when I go to the "Vols" tab on my recipe, it tells me two things: Total Water Needed is 8.48 gallons, and Est. Pre-Boil Vol is 7.76 gallons. I have specified that the recipe is an extract brew, but the Mash section of the Vols tab (which is grayed out) has a Tot Mash Water of .59 gal, Sparge Vol of 7.9 gal, etc. Why does Beersmith tell me I need 8.48 gal when I clearly don't? Is it somehow including the non-existent mash stuff?

For the boil off rate, if it seems low, by all means increase it. The built in equipment don't necessarily match your equipment.
For the water volume, it seems to be a bug, if you go to the recipe page, and change the extract recipe to all grain, and then  back to extract, the water volumes will be a lot closer (just a fraction of a gallon based on the loss from steeping)

Hope that helps! I just figured out the water thing, it had been driving me crazy.

Hey mpeden19, thanks for the reply. I tried converting to AG then back to extract, and the only change was the "Total Water Needed" on the Vols tab went up! From 8.48 gal to 9.10 gal! I don't know what's going on. I thought it might be my equipment profile, so I zeroed out all the mash/lauter tun information at the top of the profile, and that didn't help.

Oh well, great product, but what the heck? It doesn't hurt...I know it's wrong...but it bugs me that this wrong number is there and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Gene

Back