• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bittering Hops Question

R

Rushman

I have been boiling for almost an hour. When I put in the spoon to stir, the hops stay on the spoon. I would thought that they would have desolved by now. Whats up??

Thanks  

I cant see why I screwed up. The Hops will not desolve. I am really confused. Should I have put them in a cloth bag to have just got the juice out of them?

Well, as a last ditch effort I took a bath cloth and wiped off the hops off the side of the pot. I dont know how this will turn out.

Hops don't desolve, they just break up and will fall to the bottom when you chill.

It will be fine, no worries.

Don

A second to what Don said. Think of hops (especially pellet hops, which it sounds like you're using) as coffee grounds--they don't dissolve, but you extract the good stuff from them. The solid undesirable part will be left behind, which you'll either filter out when you move from boiler to fermenter, or will settle out during/after fermentation. Carry on--what you're seeing is perfectly normal.

Thanks Guys... Now I dont feel bad about wipeing them out. Have any people wiped them out or just leave them in..Thanks for all the help !!!

Just knock 'em back into the kettle. With bittering hops, you want them in the boiling wort to extract as much of the acids as you can.

Even with my false bottom, I have CLOGGING/DRAINAGE problems after the boil using pettet hops (I won't change that).

I have had to resort to using bags(panty hose legs) to be able to get the goodies to the primary.

Believe me...the DO NOT dissolve.

Back