• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing the sparge volume

TheCronx

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all....

Just having a look at our previous couple of brews, and we seem to be under hitting our OG (by a point or two) but ending up with a lot more in the fermenter (about 1750L when our target is 1600L) - This mean our efficiency is pretty good, but it is more important we hit our OG. Our mashes are pretty much sorted, but the problem is the amount that we sparge with. 

Is there a way to lower the sparge volume (our even total water volume) without changing anything else? Hopefully it is easy to do I just haven't seen it!

Cheers
Mark

The sparge volume is calculated - it is based on your pre-boil volume and water absorption/losses during the sparge.  If you are over on volume, consider lowering the boil volume a bit which will force the sparge volume down.

Brad

A problem I am having related to this thread, rather than start a new thread though I would post this here.

Over the past 4 years I have needed to wind up brewhouse efficiency in Beersmith, each batch would result in correct volumes but higher than oredicted pre boil gravity.  Would brew with the eff set at say 83% the result would be 88% so next brew wind it up to 85% not wanting to go too far.  Left it set at 88% for the past 12 months or so as I felt this was heading somewhere that may result in less quality as a little astringency and less maltiness was apparent in my beers.  Increasing sacch rest temp to 69°C (156.2°F) from my normal 66°C (150.8°F) did not seem to help.
Three brews ago I measured the runoff toward the end of sparge.  Wow! 1.010 with 8L (2.11 Gal) left to run through!!!  Stopped there, discarded the last 8 litres (2.11 Gal) of runoff and added 8L (2.11 Gal) of water to the kettle which resulted in correct pre-boil volume and gravity targets.  The beer was great and just as it was designed to be, with the right level of body and maltiness, no astringency. 

Thinking along the same line as the OP I scoured around Beersmith trying to find how to reduce sparge volume to no avail.  For a 45L (11.89 Gal) batch with my fav 2.8L/Kg (1.342 quarts per pound) mash ratio using 7.570 Kg (16.68 lb) of grain and strike volume of 22L (5.81 Gal) the remaining sparge volume is a huge 40.48 Litres (10.69 Gal).  Wanted to reduce this but could not find a way to do that as volumes are set based upon batch volume plus losses. 
Tried opening the recipe and adding 8L (2.11 Gal) of water to the Top Up Water For Kettle, this reduced sparge volume by 8 litres (2.11 Gal). 

So it is posible to reduce sparge volume, but doubt that reducing pre-boil volume by a standard 8L (2.11 Gal) will result in hitting target pre-boil gravity for varying grainbills. 

I could lower brewhouse efficiency, however from past experience this results in correct volumes but higher than predicted pre-boil gravity, necessitating the addition of water thus effecting volumes which in turn requires adjustment of hopping rates.

Thoughts please?

Back