• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Introducing myself--from Florida

suncrush

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a high school teacher in Tallahassee, Florida.

I've been making beer for about 5 years, and wine for about 6.  These days, I do BIAB all-grain with bottle conditioning.  My favorite beers to make and drink are Austrian-style lagers, which are a lot like German-style lagers, but significantly more diverse because the brewers were never restricted by the Reinheitsgebot.

Alas, I only have one refrigerator slot for a fermenter, so I can only make one lager at a time. My ales tend towards maltier varieties, like stouts and red ales.

Right now I am enjoying the last three bottles of an Oktoberfest, a traditional Austrian rye Helles, and a Belgian beer that the BJCP probably wouldn't quite let me call a Tripel.

I have another batch of my awesome Oktoberfest in secondary, ready to go to lagering whenever I find time to check it for diacetyl.

Next weekend I am making a Christmas ale with cinnamon, cloves, orange peel and just a hint of spruce extract.

Oh yeah, and I have a homebrewing blog.  It's geared more towards beginners than many blogs, but sometimes I get really sciencey because that's my background.  It's at homebrewdude.wordpress.com

Back