• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add Grain confusion

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Trying to add a simple recipe to Beersmith. It says 9lbs and 2 oz of grain. I don't know the decimal for 2 onces of grain off the top of my head. I have to close to the add grain dialog and open a weight conversion tool to find out that 2 oz is 0.13 lbs and then go back and readd the grain. Is there a more intuitive way to add 9lbs2oz of grain without opening conversion tools?

Yeah, you can actually type in "9lb 2oz" in the Amount box and it will convert for you.

Beersmith does indeed convert the amount for you. This actually brings up a related topic with regard to the need for accuracy and pinpoint measurements. After you've carefully measured out 2 grams of anything (gypsum, for example), or a tablespoon of pH stabilizer, you pretty much get the hang of what the amount looks like and can forgo the use of a nuclear scale and just do as Emeril does ... BAM!

Back