• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
It says "Batch sparge with 1 steps, (3.65 gal) of 168.0 F of water"

wouldn't the target of the grains plus sparge water be 168 and hence the sparge water actually have to be hotter than 168 to raise the grain temperature to 168 (mash was 154)?

Good question!  I'll be interested to read other responses because I'm not sure either!   

To date,  I have just been following Beersmith and adding water at the suggested tempetrature.

I suppose however that since the grain and MT are already in the 150's,  your sparge water wouldn't drop all that much anyway - maybe down to the low 160's?

I took a bunch of extra temperature readings last brew day to get a better handle on the process-  but didn;t check teh temp in teh MT after the 168F sparge had been in their for a bit. 

I'll try to check that next time!    I suppose it is not as critical as the mash temp anyway,  and from what I have read the main thing is not to sparge too hot,  which could then extract tannins from the husks and give rise to off flavours.. 

Brian.

It depends on whether you want to "mash out" or not.  Generally a mash out raises the temperature of the mash to around 168F before sparging.  There are several mash profiles that include the mash out step - so it is really up to you.

Brad

Back