• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU calculation...something's not right

M

Mishko

The IBU calculation isn't working right for me. See this recipe here: http://www.beersmith.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Recipes;action=display;num=1109429603.

When I enter the same amount of bittering hops at the same alpha percentage BeerSmith is calulating an IBU of 185. I have the formula set on Tinseth, and I use leaf hops. This is confusing me. Can anyone tell me what's going on?? ???

Hi,
 I entered the recipe with my equipment settings and came up with 110 IBU.  However to get up to the 180 range I had to set the Type of brew to "Extract" - which would be wrong for this type of brew (it is clearly an all grain recipe).

Make sure you have your brew type set to "All Grain" in the box next to the name of the brew.  Most likely this is the problem.

The IBU number will vary slightly depending on the size of boil which can vary with the equipment setup.  The difference between the 110 I came up with and the original recipe IBU is probably due to different boil sizes and losses in our equipment settings.

Cheers!
Brad

Back