• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

whole blueberries in beer?

Z

zumbo_20

I have a question regarding some beer a friend of mine had while visiting the Boston area.  He told me of a beer out there that they put whole blueberries in.  If any of you have had this beer, know the name of the beer or manufacturer and/or the recipe I would love to have it.  It sounds very delicious.  

Don't know if this will help, but...

There was a chain brewpub where I used to live that had a blueberry beer. (It shut down, and I can't for the life of me remember the name.) Anyway, it was basically an American style wheat beer with blueberry flavoring, and a few berries in the glass at serving. Unknown if there were berries in the ferment.

Also, this http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/beer.html is available here in east Tennessee, so I'm sure they have it in Boston.

Any decent hombrew shop should be able to hook you up with a recipe and ingredients. Many carry the blueberry flavoring (and others); I think it's added at bottling.

sounds like boston beer works.

another popular one in new england is Maine's Bar Harbor blueberry.  But I don't think they float whole blueberries in theirs

I recently made a great Blueberry wheat. Just find your typical american wheat recipe and add a can of Oregon fruit puree to the fermenter. I like to add my fruit in primary after the majority of fermentation seems done.

Boston area... Wachusett Brewing Co. Blueberry Ale, I see it everywhere around Boston. The berries float up and down in the beer. I asked the waitress and she explained it to me.

I've had that at Boston Beer Works, right around the corner from Fenway Park.

I found out that Darkhourse brewery (Michigan) makes a Blueberry Stout,  A great taste,  4 oz of Blueberry extract per 5 gal batch.  The only fruit beer they have brewed without fruit.

Fred

I recently made a great Blueberry wheat. Just find your typical american wheat recipe and add a can of Oregon fruit puree to the fermenter. I like to add my fruit in primary after the majority of fermentation seems done.

hi bperetto,

this sounds a nice beer and i'm keen to give it a go.

a couple of questions though if you don't mind.

would i have to give the fruit a quick boil to pastuerise(sp) it?

how long in primary and secondary to establish the flavour of the fruit ?

here in australia i'm informed by she who must be obeyed that we can't get them in a tin but the local supermarket has fresh tubs of them at the moment.

is the process still the same for fresh product ?

cheers
yard

hi bperetto,

this sounds a nice beer and i'm keen to give it a go.

a couple of questions though if you don't mind.

would i have to give the fruit a quick boil to pastuerise(sp) it?

how long in primary and secondary to establish the flavour of the fruit ?

here in australia i'm informed by she who must be obeyed that we can't get them in a tin but the local supermarket has fresh tubs of them at the moment.

is the process still the same for fresh product ?

cheers
yard
Do NOT boil fruit, it sets the pectin.  Canned fruit, such as Oregon, you can consider sanitized.   Whole fresh fruit in good shape (No twigs, leaves etc., no bruises or blemishes) you would want to sanitize.  Wash, rinse, then Sulfiting it then rinsing should work.  

Check with some wine making sites as wines are frequently made with fruit.

I would suggest adding fruit to secondary to maximize aroma and flavor.

Fred

Whole Berries...  blueberries  have a great deal of tannins and may cause a very astringent off flavor. You could try to make your own extract or buying one and add it during the very beginning stages of fermentation. ;D

Back