• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract Conversion numbers are off

gevans

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new brewer and new to Brewsmith.  I keg everything and prefer not using the pre-made kits as we brew often and buy ingredients in bulk for obvious cost savings.  That being said, when I pull recipes from the cloud and then convert them to extract from all grain - (GREAT feature by the way), many of  the numbers seem to be a bit off.  Example:  Just downloaded a Two Hearted recipe, all of the hop numbers went from .5 oz or 1 oz to .42 and .83 oz respectively.  Makes the others numbers suspect as well.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?  Or is this a bug?  I use a 10 gallon Blichmann Brew Kettle, using a Blichmann burner all mounted on a Top Tier System.

Thanks for helping a newb.

Hi,
  It is going to adjust those numbers due to the difference between equipment, boil volumes and also boil gravity.  Extract brewers typically use more hops for an equivalent IBU level due to the smaller boil volume and higher boil gravity, which reduces the amount of hop alpha oils extracted in the boil.

Brad

Back