• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Nut Brown Ale - Recipe advice needed

jossipov

Apprentice
Reaction score
With veterans day and all I was talking to a friend about making a beer for our little reunion in January. We were in the 101st, and I was wanting to make a Nut Brown Ale because:
a) I like Brown ales.
b) Gen McAuliffe of the 101st is famous for during the Battle of the Bulge responding to a German request for surrender by sending the official response of "Nuts" to the German Commander....so Nuts! Brown Ale, why not

I havent yet decided if I was going to do Partial Mash or All grain, so I'm posting both recipes I came up with. I really want this to be great, so any advice from experienced brewers on the direction I should go and how you think these will taste (flavor profile) would be appreciated.

Partial Mash, 5 gallon:
Light Dry Extract: 4 lbs 12 oz
Chocolate Malt: 6.0 oz
Brown Malt: 5.0 oz
Victory Malt: 8.0 oz
Crystal Malt - 60L: 1 lb 2 oz
Amber Candi: 1.0 lbs (added at FO)
Hops =
Willamette: 1.5 oz at 60 min
Willamette: 1.5 oz at 10 min
Willamette: 2.0 oz at FO
Yeast =
Yorkshire Square Ale (Liquid Wyeast)

Option 2:
AG: same recipe but with 8.5 lbs Maris Otter instead of Light Dry extract

Mash:
154° F for 60 minutes

additional idea:
Pretty sure with the malts there it should be nutty enough, but depending on how the samples taste might add 1/2 tbs hazelnut extract during bottling. But not sure on that, worry it would make it ridiculous nutty.

In my opinion that's a lot of hops for a style that centers around the malt. I'd go with 2oz for 60 and that's it. Use hops for bittering, but let the rest of the flavor come from the malt.  If you insist on more hops I'd limit them to 0.5oz increments.  You don't want to obscure the malt.

I like the idea of using Maris Otter for base.

Yep, I'll take your advice on the hops.
While I like Hoppy beer, it would overpower those flavors I'm looking for, thx

Back