• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shakey Dog Recp.

R

Rushman

Hi..I was wondering about how you done certain things durning the brew. Can you explain?

Amount Item Type % or IBU  

Would Muntons work for this?
3.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 10.7 %  

Did you put this in many of those cheese cloth like socks and steep it?
23.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.1 %  

1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %  
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %  

At what "Time Durning"  the boil did you add the Hops. I see the first wort time but I still am uncertian,
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 34.1 IBU  
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (45 min) Hops 31.3 IBU  
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (50 min) Hops 16.2 IBU  
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (15 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.3 IBU  

I bought some of this. How much do I put in?
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale  

Don ..Like you said that Killians does not have much taste. If I drink a bottle of store bought Stout and then open a Killians I can even taste it then. I want to take you mix and alter it a little and give it a go. What part of the above mix boost the Alcohol?

Hello Rush,

Thinking of making the Barleywine are we.  I love this one.  I won't drink this until Thanksgiving 2006.  It will need to age a year.  I just put it in secondary today and will bottel in 2-4 weeks or whenever I get around to it.

1. Muntons would work fine.  I wanted to use all grain but with a beer this big and wanting to have 5 gal in bottles I needed DME to get the gravity where I want it.

2. I don't steep thet grain.  I use a mash lauter tun (MLT) with a bazooka T.  I mashed at 152 for 6 mins and batched sparged to get 7 gal in the kettle.

3. You answerd your own qestion here.  at 60, 50, 45 adn 15 min. left in the boil.  I boiled for 60 min.  I may do what Bonjoir said next year and go for 90 or 120 min.

4. I made a big starter of WLP005 from the yeast I had washed from another brew.  I stepped it up onetime and had a good 3 cup slurry I pitched.  It fermented like made and blew off about 1/2 gal. :'(  

When I racked this today the gravity was at 1.040 that buts the ABV at 11.5%.  It might come down a little more in the secondary.  005 can be a little slow sometimes but I don't think it i will come down much more.  That is a high finishing gravity but the hops at 91 ibu and the amout of abv balance it well.

This is a big beer, be patient if you make something like this and you will be very happy.

Brew on!!

Don

Don...Guess I jumped the gun on ordering stuff for the above. However, I can still use it. My guestion is can I use the above yeast in making any style beer?

Well it ferment any wort.

I have use it in my last two BW and I like it in Porter and Stout.  I have used it in ESB.  You would be happy with it in any Brithish style.

Back