• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie mistake

chrisswift

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi - As a complete novice to All Grain brewing, my first attempt was a real surprise when it turned out just right.  My second attempt has not been so clever!  I brewed a Stout which seem to go okay, a little slow to "get going" on the fermentation though.  Around day 4 I put the fermenter in the cider shed (okay, I admit to making cider!) where the temperature is around 9 - 12 C, the fermentation slowed\stopped.  Having decided it was a dumb thing to do I moved it back indoors 18 - 20 C and things fermentation started again.  When it came back in it was at 1.020 - the target is 1.013 - having left it a further 6 days the air trap was doing around 1 glug every 6 hours and the gravity was still 1.020.  Being the weekend I decided to bottle it, tasted very nice I have to say but a large amount of yeast is dropping out, thick pale brown sludge, on the bottom of the bottles.  What would you advise, chuck it, rebottle it?  Any advice gratefully received here in Oxfordshire UK.

Cheers, Chris

I would have racked it to a secondary for a few days to allow stuff to drop out.

Otherwise, if it tastes good, drink it!  Yeast is a healthy nutriant.  High in B vitamins!

Thanks Beer_Tigger - Good lord, I forgot the secondary fermenter step!  I think gentle pouring will be the order of the day.

Cheers - Chris

Back