• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cloudy IPA

factory

Master Brewer
Reaction score
This is the first AG beer I have brewed and it has turned out rather cloudy.  It fermented well, SG 1.056 FG 1.010 for a calculated 6% ABV. I made a 1 liter yeast starter using Safale US-05 and maintained the fermentation temp at a pretty steady 67°.  Should I chill it down and see if it is yeast in suspension before I keg it?  Is it a good idea to chill it before I keg it in general?  Did I just make some cloudy beer?  Oh, BTW, I didn't dry hop.

Should I chill it down and see if it is yeast in suspension before I keg it?  Is it a good idea to chill it before I keg it in general?

Absolutely!  Cold crash it and all the yeasties and stuff will fall to the bottom...... or you could just keg it, wait a few days -  and only the first few draws will be cloudy/yeasty  since it is cold crashed in the kegerator! (assuming no other protein/haze factors)

But cloudy beer still TASTES as good ... it's just a mental thing, although I like to brag about how clear my beers are! ::)

Thanks 88Q.  It is my first AG, and the first time I've ever used a dry yeast.  I don't know if the cloudiness is from my new process, or from the new yeast, or both.  My extract beers have been coming out clear with amazing regularity, so I of course attribute this to me not knowing what I'm doing with an AG brew.  It's fun though, and I absolutely love this hobby.

I use Safale US-05 for all my ales, and they come out pretty clear.  So I wouldn't blame the yeast.
The cloudiness could be anything from hot break material to grain bits. I wouldn't worry about it. It's nothing gravity and time can't fix.
Congrats on going AG. You won't look back.

An incomplete mash can cause the beer to be cloudy. If it does not clear up after chilling for a week or so, that is probably the reason

I love 05.  Once it is finished fermenting I like to make it shiver.  It will clear then.

It has been in the keg at 37 F for a week now and it's still cloudy.  I think that mayhewmasher was right on this one.  Thanks for everyone's inputs.  I learn a lot reading the forums and the different responses to my questions.

Next supply run pick up some iodophor. That way you can test for full conversion. Remove a spoonful of mash liquid onto a plate and add a drop or two of iodine. If it changes color from purple to black the conversion is incomplete. If it stays purple then it's ready for the next step.

I read about the starch conversion test with iodine. Guess i just figured that since I let the mash go 75 minutes, that I would be ok.  I struggled mightily to get the mash up to the right temperature initially. I have a plan for my next brew so I don't have such a hard time with the initial strike temperature.  I will also definately do the iodine test.  Thanks for the help.

"An incomplete mash can cause the beer to be cloudy. If it does not clear up after chilling for a week or so, that is probably the reason."

Can you explain how an incomplete mash can cause cloudy beer? Is incomplete the same as low efficiency? Got cloudy beer and 54% eff last brew, think from poor crush from new LHBS. Have hit 75% and clearer beer from old but distant LHBS. Think the difference is in the crush.

Just what is a cold crash?

While the crush is certainly related to mash extract efficiency, it may not necessarily be the cause of haze in the finished beer. Incomplete conversion, however, will leave starches behind that will cause a haze in the finished beer, and likely the only fix is time.

Incomplete conversion can happen for several reasons, poorly modified malt, incorrect mash temperatures, not mashing long enough, the list goes on.

Maine's got it nailed - get a test kit and start checking the mash until you're comfortable with your mashing process - at least this way you can be sure an incomplete mash will no longer be the source of any cloudiness in your brews.

Just wanted to update my findings here for this beer.  I left it alone in the kegerator for about three weeks, and after drinking about a gallon of it, it started pulling very clear beer!  Time, temperature, and gravity worked its magic.

I know this is late to the party, and it appears that you know what you're doing. But you didn't say how long you fermented your batch for. I always transfer to a secondary to let the yeast finish out, and clean up the beer. Glad to hear it's cleared up and pours as intended.

MCB

@ Slurk, I'm learning patience now that I've become a brewer.  ;)  It's just so hard to look at the beer in the fermenter and know that I have to wait to drink it.

@Maplecitybrewer - I don't secondary my beers anymore.  I've found that leaving them in the primary for a month clears them up and fully attenuates them.  I did that with this beer which is why I was confused when it was so cloudy.  I haven't had any problems with off flavors or autolysis.

If you use wheat and or rye it can be a little cloudy because of those grains I think. If this is incorrect...my apologies. Simie

Simie said:
If you use wheat and or rye it can be a little cloudy because of those grains I think. If this is incorrect...my apologies. Simie

Neither grain will cause cloudiness.  However, typically wheat beers are fermented with low flocculating yeasts so they are often cloudy.  However, EVEN a hefe can be clarified with gelatin and presented as a "crystalweizen". 

I didn't see anyone offer an explanation of "cold crashing". That's simply a procedure where the carboy or other fermenting vessel is placed in a refrigerator or kegerator to further assist in getting "floaties" to drop to the bottom. Some people cold crash for only a few hours before racking to a keg or bottling bucket. I do it for a minimum of one day. Strange as this might sound, I actually prefer cloudy beer to something crystal clear. I think wheat beers have helped in gaining acceptance of a cloudy pour. I still think that rapid cooling of beer, after the boil, is the primary reason why some beers are more clear than others. Have you ever noticed how an unfinished glass of beer becomes crystal clear after sitting for a period of time?

Back