• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How can I get Beersmith to calculate a 1 step batch sparge?

nwv

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I am doing AG with my equipment setup, no matter what I try when I select "Single infusion, x body, Batch Sparge", the only directino returned is to sparge in 2 steps.  The total amount is never much more at all than what I originally mashed with, why can't I get Beersmith to just give it to me in one volume of water?  I just don't see a need to batch sparge in 2 steps. 

Make sure your sparge size(s) + mash volume do not exceed the total volume of your mashtun.  You may have to click on 'drain mash tun before sparging'.  uncheck 'use equal size batches'. 

I'm having similar issues trying to understand batch sparge volumes. Where do I find the checkboxes referred to in the previous reply?

I am totally new to Beersmith2 but this question has been bugging the hell out of me and I believe I've figured it out.

While on the Mash tab within your receipe, click on the "edit mash profile" button.  The button has a faint red checkmark on it.  Under batch sparge options, check the box that says "Batch Sparge using batches that fill" and change the percentage to 99% or 100%, and now you should see just 1-step sparge.

I highly recommend that you add up all the volumes to ensure you don't exceed the capaciy of your mash tun.

Note that the mash in volume is in quarts (qt) and that the batch sparge volume is in gallons (gal).  Beersmith has a built in unit conversion tool, under the Unit Tools tab.

Back