• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carboy cap

K

KernelCrush

So I got an acid carboy cap cause I was tired of bleaching out my fermentation fridge and/or replacing 1" blowoff tubes (pretty tough to clean blowoff tubes)  and/or replacing fouled airlocks daily.  Stuck a thermowell in one hole and a 7/16 blow off tube in the other. Brewed Saturday and fermentation appears pretty docile. US05 at 67F.  1" krausen 3 days later. Have used 05 lots in the past and never had a ferment this uneventful.  But it sounds like Phil Collins on the drums in the blowoff bucket.  All I can think of is increased head pressure from the new cap & narrow blow off?  Has anybody tried this with similar results?

recently bought a 6.5G carboy, and didn't like what I was hearing about the krausen blowing the bubblers off,('specially since it's in the dining room....I was warned that if it made a mess, to the cold **s garage I was headed)so I went the same route. Left the larger one capped, but attached the 7/16 like you did.
Took a day or two to build up steam, but I got big bubbles something like every 2 seconds in my bucket. You can see, the krausen reached the neck, but nothing came through.
The only thing I notice was that when I took off the cap to thief a bit for testing, it seemed like it didn't seal right, right away. I could smell the gasses coming out by the neck, so I'd play with it a bit, and finally it seemed to settle in and start burpin' away again.
Overall, I like it, just need to look at the engineering of the seal to see if I can improve on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 927
The caps I have seal good...almost too good.  They go on pretty tightly and then with a little more pressure they kind of  'snap' on.  Pretty hard to get them off when you're done.  My ferment started slow but was normal after that.  It turned out to be a good way to stop the overflows...so far.

You can alwasy put a couple drop of anti-foaming stuff in.  When I remember, I never have problems with my airlocks or blowoff tubes.

KernelCrush said:
The caps I have seal good...almost too good.  They go on pretty tightly and then with a little more pressure they kind of  'snap' on.  Pretty hard to get them off when you're done.  My ferment started slow but was normal after that.  It turned out to be a good way to stop the overflows...so far.

Wonder if I just got a loose one.....uh....nevermind.
Mine does just like you say, and 'snap' on, but has just the tiniest bit of a wiggle once on fully, and it's not entirely difficult to remove, kinda peel it up from the bottom....but for the most part seems ok. I'll just keep an eye on it

Back