• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rookie; apprentice

wisdumb89

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a rookie to home brewing. I got a basic kit for an early Christmas present. I am certainly intrigued by brewing beer. The kit basically just gives you some mix and let's you get to it. I would rather be as educated as much as possible in all aspects of brewing beer. I have done a little research online, but I feel that I would learn best by conversation with someone with a great deal of experience. I don't know what questions to ask, so I guess I'm looking for someone to help me get the ball rolling. Feel free to email me at wisdumb89@yahoo.com. Thank you.

The first thing I think you should do is buy John Palmer,s How to Brew. It is a great book to start learning about brewing beer.

I got my inspiration from Charlie Papazian's books, though the folks on this site tell me he's rather out dated.

It's pretty simple. You sterilize some sugar water by boiling it, in the process add some hops to give flavor and act as a preservative, then after cooling it down you add yeast to eat the sugar and turn it into alcohol. The end result is beer.

The best way to educate yourself is with a book or two.  Give attention to all-grain brewing because it's less expensive and the end product is a hundred times better.

I also used Charlie's book, and still keep it handy. My favorite beginning book was Dave Miller's Brewing the World's Great Beers, because it started you out with simple recipes and progressed you through the same recipes as your skill grew.
Just my humble opinion

Ed

ihikeut said:
The first thing I think you should do is buy John Palmer,s How to Brew. It is a great book to start learning about brewing beer.

I found I had a little trouble following John Palmer's book, until I read Brad Smith's. Then it all made a little more sense to me.

Back