• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter in recipe doesn't match starter in tools menu

acefaser

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I build a recipe and look at the yeast starter tab (in the recipe) to see the amount of dry yeast packs to use it doesn't match the amount when I use the yeast starter tool. For example on my current recipe:
Under the yeast starter tab in the recipe:
og:  1.062
Yeast cells without starter needed: 451.5
Number of 11.5g Dry yeast packs needed: 2

Using the yeast starter tool: (put in same recipe information)
Yeast cells needed: 450.7
Number of 11.5g dry yeast packs needed: 4

This happens for all my recipes and I have changed the expiration date on the yeast packs to be the same also. Which formula should we use? Anyone else have this problem?
John

Assuming you are at 5 gallons, 2 packs is correct.  Check your brew date and yeast package date.  The YPD is 2 years back from the expire date.  Check date in yeast starter window. 

I have the same date for both. Check the screen shots below of my lager starters.
Starter needed under the tools menu:
Yeast cells needed: 999.1
Dry 11.5g packs needed if no starter: 8

Starter under recipe tab:
Yeast cells needed: 991.5
Dry 11.5g packs needed if no starter: 5

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.18.17 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.18.17 AM.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.18.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.18.31 AM.png
    110 KB · Views: 669
I assumed you were at 5 gallons of ale. 

In the yeast starter tool what happens when you remove the checkmark at 'use stir plate'

KernelCrush said:
I assumed you were at 5 gallons of ale. 

In the yeast starter tool what happens when you remove the checkmark at 'use stir plate'

Nothing. It is for the liquid yeast and doesn't affect the dry yeast side. It does the same for my 5 gallon batches also. I just used this example because the larger the batches the more 'off' the yeast packet shows. For the 5 gallon ale recipes it may be only off by one packet depending on the gravity.

Looks like you have 7 packs plugged in to the recipe, which agrees with Mr Malty.  Dont know why the starter tab is giving you 5.  In the Starter Tab, my pack count always agrees with Mr Malty.  Something is off.

I am having the same issue as the OP. Has anyone one resolved this yet?

Brad's model assumptions on yeast viability are different from Wye and White.  Could that be it? 

Those guys assume a fixed 20% death per month, so useless after five months.  Brad assume 20% death of the remaining balance so his viability runs out to month 10 or 11.  So Brad's model calls for less yeast needed at start. 

Results should be the same in the stand alone tool as within the program. They are not. It's not clear why.

Back