• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Comments - "Untitled Item"

U

User in Michigan

Originally posted by "User in Michigan" to our old forum on 25 Aug 2003
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mean to be critical, but I have noticed a couple of things that I thought I would comment on.

First, it would appear that I accidentally created an item labeled "untitled" that shares the same icon as "my recipes", but cannot find any way of modifying it or getting rid of it. I know it doesn't affect the functionality of the program, but it is rather annoying! In the course of trying to get rid of that, I tried uninstalling the software. While the routine seemed to run, it did not remove any of the installed files, nor did it remove all registry entries. I resorted to removing everything manually and reinstalling, but the untitled item still appeared. Any thoughts on this?

Also, the program seems to function the same using the files extracted from the zip file as it does when the program is installed to another location using the setup program. Is there a difference that I'm not noticing?

Originally posted 25 August by "User in Michigan" on our old forum...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick follow-up... OK, I guess I should have played around more before I posted.

I see that one main difference in not running the setup routine is that the help files aren't functional.

I also noticed that the "untitled" item is part of the program (or at least it appears in the screenshots on the website), but I still don't really understand it's purpose?

The software seems pretty cool, I'm looking to forward to trying it for brewing and not just nitpicking.

:)

Reply originally posted 25 Aug on our old message board
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your comments --

I apologize if the "Untitled" document appears confusing - you did not create it. The "Untitled" document is actually a scratch pad of sorts that you can use to drag recipes to for export (for example). If you drag some recipes to the "Untitled" folder you can then save the "untitled" folder using the "Export As" command to save a subset of your recipes.

Also, when you import or open an external BeerSmith file (such as one emailed to you), the "Untitled" is replaced with the name of the file and the opened file will appear here. For example your friend might send some recipes to you as a "BSM" file. When you open the file he sent you the name will replace the "Untitled" but behave as any other folder. You can then drag the recipes from your open "file" into your "My Recipes" folder for permanent use.

As for installation - yes you can run BeerSmith from just about any folder as long as all of the files are there, but we recommend installing it for ease of use and so you can use the uninstall later.  Also, as you point out, the help files are not unzipped until you install BeerSmith.

Thanks!
Brad

Back