• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't open recipe file (.bsmx) in Mac?

tinahdee

Apprentice
Reaction score
I downloaded a recipe file here, to use on my trial copy of Beersmith; I can't open the file using "File", "Open File". I can't select the file name or click on it, it's just not recognized at all. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? :) thanks :)

sometimes when I double click the file I will get this error message: "This is not a recognized BeerSmith file format"

Hi tinahdee, Had the same issue and found your post when searching. There are a number of bugs and usability issues with the Mac version of BS2. Never seen a Mac app without keyboard shortcuts. Brad, please fix this broken app!

In this case BS2 will ONLY open a file with the .bsmx suffix. I'm not a Mac developer but it looks to be two related problems. Beersmith can't open a file unless it has .bsmx suffix (unique to this app because it doesn't use the standard OSX open dialog). Also, BS2 should inform OSX to associate the .bsmx to BS2 but doesn't.

1. This is a bug work-around: Select the downloaded file in the Finder and goto File/Get Info (command-I is the shortcut). In that window click the drop-down under 'Open with:' and select Beersmith2. [If it's not in the list select 'Other...' at the bottom. In the next window select 'All Applications' in the Enable drop-down, then navigate to and select the BS2 app (in your Applications folder). Click the 'Add' button to close this widow.] Delete the .txt suffix from the file name and close the get info window. Now you can open the file by double-clicking or within BS2 (File/Open).

2. Avoid the bug: Instead of downloading the file select 'Store a Private Copy' from http://beersmithrecipes.com. Go to BS2 and enable cloud (View/Cloud and login) and the recipe should be there.

3. Someone else's bugs: Get BeerAlchemy or BeerTools Pro. Both solid Mac apps each with their own features and limitations.

P.S. Don't say it if it's not true... This statement in the Modify message window is false: "shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview"

Back