• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU and more

tahaugen88

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I switched from my old computer to my new one and I saw something suspicious. When I brew my beer I use recipes I get from my BYO subscription and on my new computer the IBU are way off. When I told the BeerSmith that I didn't have any losses because of trub and chiller the IBU went back to normal. Should I just up my hops to get the wanted IBU when I use my equipment profile with losses etc? or should I just ignore this? Because if this is true then I've got less bitterness then I were supposed to when brewing clones of commercial beers!

Love the software, good job :D

Great Post! I've been having IBU issues as well. I input from BYO as well. Putting in the hop additions as stated I usually come out about 35 points high on the IBU in BeerSmith.... Need help with this.
Thanks, Simie

Yeah :)

Would be great i someone knew the answer since brew day is coming up in just some hours :)

Thanks!

Your brew-day passed, but usually the differences in a magazine recipe stem from the Hops Utilization model.  They often use Rager and BS defaults to Tinseth.  That, and equipment profile differences that are not obvious. 

When copying a recipe, I usually enter all their assumptions until I have their key stats "cloned" and then I switch to my equipment and model, etc., and adjust the recipe to get back to their key stats.  I haven't done it recently and there's likely an easier way, but it worked for me for quite a while.

Back