• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Confusion on entering dates - probably my bad

prayingmantis

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Have a quick question. I don't often follow standardized fermentation procedures. Brewsmith seems great to create such: e.g. 2 weeks secondary all the time, 1 week to bottle age for an ale, etc. You get the drift.

I'm not that regimented - I kinda fly by the seat of my pants. I brew, leave it in the primary a while, and then put it in the secondary. It can stay in the secondary a LONG time until I get around to bottling it. None of these times are standard. Creating new fermentation profiles seems a bit of a waste as I doubt I will follow it precisely again. Hence, my question:

Is there a way to just enter the dates when I accomplish certain tasks and put in measurements (eg hydrometer readings)? For example, I brewed an AHS brew in october and have left it in the secondary until I bottled today. When I go to Brewsmith to enter today's date for bottling, I can't find anything. I try clicking the calendar, but it's stuck in a "fermentation profile" which basically says this brew was (or should have been) bottled two months ago. Am I missing an easy screen where I can just document the dates I do different tasks? I seem to remember this being possible in Beersmith 1.x but I may be mistaken. It would be wonderful to have such a feature: a place where I just put in when I did certain things, more of a log, than a "fermentation profile." I don't particularly want to make a new fermentation profile for each brew based upon my rather random time periods between events. But I would like a way to track what and when I did something so I can learn and modify my practices the second time around.

Sorry for being long-winded but I hope it makes sense. I'm sure this is an easy question and that there's a simple way to do this!!

I appreciate any help from anyone who can show me the error of my ways!

-Chris

I gave up on the calendar too. If you figure something out please post back. I wonder if it's possible for people who bought 2.0 to download 1.4?

I use dates.  If it is brew day, I put whatever day it is and the calendar gives me a good idea of what to do next.  I do adjust on all my dates to hit on Saturdays, which is seven, or fourteen day for primary/secondary.  I adjust aging and keg/ bottling all to hit on again on Saturdays.  Why you ask?  It is my only day not at work and this is what I want to do. 

I give a little on recommended fermentation times to fit my schedule.  However, if timing is critical then I adjust, by seeing when to brew that I can plan on being there.  I have in my brew log two years worth of recipes and I put future dates where I think I will want to brew.  Once you have all the adjustments made for a brew or in my case several brews, I can reschedule by changing only one date.  Great stuff!

My brew day or changing from primary to secondary are mostly on the same day and Saturdays overlaps and I get a lot done in one day.  Besides from good time management which is my least good reason for this, I often reuse the yeast from one brew into another on the same day.  Saves money, providing it is Ale to Ale or Lager to Lager and not a special yeast.

I do plan my Saturdays, at least the mornings, doing something beer related.  I would do more but my wife would cut me off the propane.  Anyway it is a great tool and I use it a lot. 

Could probably just use the notes section of each recipe, but then you got to start to wonder why even bother with Beersmith and just track everything in a notepad.

Back