• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer profile observations

dchijarhead

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is not a question, just looking for the logic if you have input I would love to hear it.  I often download in BeerSmith recipes of beers that have won awards or others think are great beers.  Even before I make adjustment for my equipment and batch size, not all the time, but often the numbers for the selected profile are off the charts, color, % alc, bitterness or you name it.  More or less, BeerSmith does not agree with the selected recipe for that profile.

BeerSmith is great for making adjustments for a given style and I do it all the time.  I make adjustment for recipes based on what assets I have on hand too.  I always try to stay within the numbers for a given style.  Granted I’ve never been to, or expect to win, a beer competition.  So how is it, if the profile numbers are so far off, that the recipe still wins or gets raving reviews?  Not really a question rather just an observation.  I say more power to you as long as it’s good beer. 

I stepped into brewing with both feet two years ago, All Grain, BeerSmith Program, books and equipment all at once.  No regrets and it has been a learning experience ever since.  This is even my first time on a forum.  Cheers and any thoughts?

BeerSmith uses BJCP guidelines by default. There is also the Brewer's Assoc. guidelines used by a lot of commercial brewers, and the GABF. Many countries have their own guidelines. And some people, like myself, make up our own guidelines.
Why conform?

Ed

Well that does answer the question. Thanks.  I conform only because I'm a new bee.  Thanks again.

Perhaps the ibu ratings scale your using is different than the one the recipe intended, like rager or tinseth or whatever. I heard someone mention that the recipes from "brewing Classic Styles" were different from the default that Beersmith uses. I need to look into this myself because the one recipe I have made from this book was a bitter hop bomb.

Though this could just have easily just have been  the fault of a hob substitution suggested by the homebrew shop of using Magnum instead of Horizon.

Back