• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Issues with BeerSmith

MrMista347

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been having a lot of issues with getting consistent results from BeerSmith. I thought I had my system dialed in, getting 68% efficiency, but lately that number has been all over the place. Today I actually got 45% efficiency, and I have no idea why. I did not change anything.

Initially BeerSmith would give me the perfect temperature to mash at (after preheating my cooler) but this brew day I missed my temperature by 2 degrees. Also, my batch size was supposed to be 5 gallons, but the volume in the fermenter was only 4 gallons out. This is using the same profile as before, and I cannot figure out what is wrong. I am especially confused because today was very humid, thinking I should have boiled off less than normal.

I'm sorry, but the fault is not beersmith.  The math in beersmith hasn't changed. Any inconsistencies are a brewer mistake.  That may sound harsh, but it's true all the same.

Volume measurement is key to brewing. All of the problems you are having can be explained by inaccurate water volume. Get yourself a good graduated 1 gallon water jug. Ace mart.com has a good one. Calibrate everything wit, h that jug. Measure allyour water with that jug. Don't trust ANY pre measured graduations except your jug.  Calibrate everything accurate to the quart.  When you measure volumes,  measure accurately to the 1/2 quart.

Back