• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chris from Virginia

ChrisCapePoint

Apprentice
Reaction score
`Well....I picked up my equipment today from my local home brew shop. First go at beer making (an American Pale Ale) on my own starts tomorrow...Here goes nothin!!

Best of luck with the first brew!  Don't hesitate to ask if you run into any issues or have any questions! 

mcliff1971 said:
Best of luck with the first brew!  Don't hesitate to ask if you run into any issues or have any questions!

Since you offered... Pitched yesterday at 71 degrees (smack pack). Fermentation is fierce right now....to the point I am close to the neck of the carboy....Nothing has gotten into the airlock, but I am getting a little nervous....I may need to get a blow off tube, but can't until tomorrow.....If anything gets in the air lock, what can I do to span the gap until I get tubing for the blowoff?

Thanks in advance!

Really, there isn't much that you can do.  If you get anything into the airlock, just make sure that you take it out, clean, and re-sanitize.  Cover the carboy with some sanitized aluminum foil or saran wrap to limit air exposure and protect against contamination.  If the airlock gets plugged, pressure can build up pretty quickly and cause a blow-out.  Pretty messy.

factory said:
Really, there isn't much that you can do.  If you get anything into the airlock, just make sure that you take it out, clean, and re-sanitize.  Cover the carboy with some sanitized aluminum foil or saran wrap to limit air exposure and protect against contamination.  If the airlock gets plugged, pressure can build up pretty quickly and cause a blow-out.  Pretty messy.

Thanks a bunch for the help.....I think crisis has been averted......In ended up with just a tiny bid of residue in the airlock, so I took it off (covered the plug as you said), cleaned and replaced it.....Luckily, it never clogged....lock is bubbling quite nicely.

Good to hear.  I once had a blow-out using a plastic bottling bucket --and that's when I got banished to the garage.  ;D

Chris - what size carboy are you using for your primary fermenter - a 5 gallon or 6.5 gallon?  If you are using a 5 gallon, I would suggest moving up to 6.5 for your primary and using a 5 gallon for your secondary.  This should help reduce the chance of the krausen finding its way into the airlock during the heavy fermentation period. 

Back