• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile probs

W

wbc_leelee

Hi Brad
I have just noticed that when you change your mash profile within a recipe it does not change the final gravity estimate, is this supposed to be the case. doesn't the temperature of the mash control the amount of  fermentable sugar produced. And if so shouldn't a light body mash result in a lower final gravity reading than a full body mash. I would find it very helpfull to be able to see what the different mash profiles would do to a brew. Is it possible to do this. Also maybe I am doing something wrong.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 I never thought of adjusting the final gravity based on mash temperature but I can see how it would make some sense.  The tough part is how much to adjust it?

BeerSmith, unlike many tools, does adjust the final gravity to account for average yeast attenuation for the yeast you choose to ferment with, but I have no data on how much the mash temperature would affect final gravity.

If anyone is aware of any concrete data I would be more than happy to include it in the program.

Cheers!
Brad

I don't know of any data that I can point you to, but at least having a user-adjustable option would be a good idea -- as the brewer gets more experience, she/he can enter the data and have BeerSmith adjust that way. Just an idea.

Back